Top 25 Moments That Shifted The Culture In 2017
Photo Credit: Getty Images
The past 365 days have made for one hell of a year. From an unbelievable (literally) swear-in ceremony during this inauguration to the revolution of the woman’s clap back for equal rights across the board, we’ve seen quite a bit. But a lot has happened, and sometimes, it’s hard to remember it all.
Here’s a look at the top 25 moments that changed the culture in 2017.
1. Donald Trump was sworn in as the 45th president of the United States. His inauguration had a record-low attendance - no, these are not alternative facts.
Photo Credit: Anadolu Agency/Getty Images
2. Meek Mill sent back to jail for trying to stop a fight in a St. Louis airport. He’s now facing two to four years in prison for a parole violation that never actually occurred.
Photo Credit: Shareif Ziyadat/Getty Images
3. Insecure returned to HBO for season 2 and the divide between #TeamLawerence and #TeamIssa got hella real. But we hella loved it (and we hella loved Issa Rae for creating a weekly Monday morning debate).
Photo Credit: Randy Shropshire/Getty Images
4. We got hit by not one but two bad chicks named Irma and Maria, and got slapped by a pimp named Harvey.
Photo Credit: The Washington Post/Getty Images
5. The 45th president of the United States said he likes to grab women by the p—y, and women banded together for a nationwide march to let him know that grabbing a woman's anything is not okay.
Photo Credit: Mario Tama/Getty Images
6. Donald Glover was Black af during his Golden Globes acceptance speech for Atlanta - and we were totally here for every moment of it.
7. Beyonce and Jay-Z welcomed a new set of heirs to the throne. All hail Sir and Rumi.
8. Cardi B. went from living in the projects to living the platinum life.
Photo Credit: Prince Williams/Getty Images
9. Kim, Khloe, and Kylie all got pregnant at the same damn time.
Photo Credit: Kevin Mazur/Getty Images
10. Another royal wedding is coming! Actress Meghan Markle and Prince Harry announced their engagement and upcoming Memorial Day Weekend wedding.
Photo Credit: Samir Hussein/Getty Images
11. Winter came. Game of Thrones fans went crazy. Now they’re stuck for 24 months, waiting for the show’s return.
12. Gucci Mane reminded us why he’s the East Atlanta Santa: he dropped two albums, two mixtapes, popped the question, and spent more than a million dollars on wedding. #Guwop
Photo Credit: Thaddaeus McAdams/Getty Images
13. Lavar Ball found a way to get his Big Baller Brand more than $13 million in free advertising by feuding with Donald Trump.
Photo Credit: Joshua Blanchard/Getty Images
14. From Harvey Weinstein to Russell Simmons to Matt Lauer to basically the majority of the country at this point...the sexual harassment revolution begins.
Photo Credit: Chelsea Guglielmino/Getty Images
15. It's no secret that Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un utterly despise each other. So much so that the beef between the two of them almost killed us all - twice.
Photo Credit: Jung Yeon-Je/Getty Images
16. Jay-Z and Beyonce came clean about their marital issues.
Photo Credit: Brendan Smialowski/Getty Images
17. Colin Kapernick became every brand’s Man of the Year.
Photo Credit: Michael Zagaris/Getty Images
18. Donald Trump took on the NFL - so far, the NFL is winning.
Photo Credit: Jonathan Ferrey/Getty Images
19. Dave Chappelle finally made his return to television (and his debut on Netflix).
20. While society isn't keen on seeking justice for the deaths of Black men, the culture is keen on speaking out on their injustices. Jay-Z and Spike TV released Time: The Kalief Browder Story.
Photo Credit: Pacific Press/Getty Images
21. Chance the Rapper changed the game for the Chicago school system every chance he got.
Photo Credit: Jeff Kravitz/Getty Images
22. From Manchester to Las Vegas to Tennessee to any other place you can think of, the push for gun control for became a necessity.
Photo Credit: Robert Alexander/Getty Images
23. Jimmy Kimmel said forget White privilege, I’m fighting for healthcare.
24. Wonder Woman proved the importance of #GirlPower.
25. The fight against White supremacy begins.
Photo Credit: Anadolu Agency/Getty Images