The HOT 97 Morning Show


(photo via NY Daily News)

UPDATE: 22 year-old Saudi Nationalist, Abdulrhman Ali Alharbi, no longer a suspect but a witness.

(via NY Daily News):

The Saudi national questioned in the aftermath of the Boston Marathon terror blasts that killed three is considered a witness rather than a suspect, sources told the Daily News on Tuesday.

Abdulrahman Ali Alharbi, 22, remained hospitalized in Boston as investigators searched every inch of his Revere, Mass., apartment and grilled his roommate.

But it turns out the student was apparently in the wrong place at the wrong time when two bombs exploded Monday afternoon near the finish line of the event that draws runners from around the globe.

Alharbi’s Facebook page indicated that he was in the United States on a scholarship to study at the New England School of English. He reportedly held a student visa.

“He is sweet and kind and a good person,” said his roomie, Mohammud Hassan Bada, 20. “I didn’t see something on him like (a bomb).”

Alharbi met his future roommate in Boston, and the two moved into their fifth-floor apartment in the Massachusetts suburb late last year.

Bada said he was questioned for five hours Monday about his roomie, and investigators were seen lugging assorted bags filled with items from their home. Alharbi was last seen by his roommate prior to the terrorist attack. Abdulrhman Ali Alharbi seen in a Facebook posting. The Washington Post says he is being considered a witness, not a suspect.

A school classmate echoed Bada, describing Alharbi as a low-key guy who never showed any inkling of anti-American sentiment.

“He is a geek,” said pal Abdullah Alkayid, 19. “He likes to study a lot. ... He’s a quiet person, doesn’t like to go out a lot.”

A photo on his Facebook page showed Alhardi, a smile on his face, jumping for joy in Disney World.

According to Alkayid, the Saudi native was a top student who spoke excellent English.

Alharbi’s room in the apartment was sparsely decorated, with English vocabulary cards taped on the walls, Alkayid said. There were no posters, and no pictures of family or friends.

“He’s a shy guy,” said Alkayid. “He likes to keep to himself.”

Alharbi never mentioned anything about heading into Boston on the day of the marathon, Alkayid added.

President Obama said there were no suspects in custody as the intensive investigation went into its second day.

A 20 year-old “Saudi Nationalist” is currently in custody and considered a “person of interest” in the bombing of the Boston Marathon.

According to CBS News, the man told police he tackled the bystander while running from the scene because he believed that man was acting suspiciously.

(via NY Post):

The potential suspect was questioned by the FBI and local police yesterday at Boston’s Brigham and Women’s Hospital, where he was under heavy guard while being treated for shrapnel injuries to his leg sustained in the blast.

*In late afternoon, a large group of federal and state law enforcement agents raided an apartment in a building in the Saudi man’s hometown of Revere, Mass. FBI agents could be seen through one window. It was not clear what, if anything, they found. But Revere fire officials said they were called out to support bomb-squad officers as part of an investigation of a “person of interest” in the marathon attack.

At the hospital, investigators seized the man’s clothes to examine whether they held any evidence that he was behind the attack. The law-enforcement sources also told The Post that the man was not free to leave the medical center.

He had suffered shrapnel wounds to the back of a leg but was not likely to die, a source said. As of last night, investigators had not yet directly asked the man whether he had set off the bombs. But they had asked him general questions, such as what he was doing in the area.

The potential suspect told police he had dinner Sunday night near Boston’s Prudential Center, about half a mile from the blast site, the sources said.

*He also said that he went to the Copley Square area yesterday to witness the finish of the race. * The sources said that, after the man was grabbed by police, he smelled of gunpowder and declared, “I thought there would be a second bomb.”

He also asked: “Did anyone die?”

Officials showed up at the Revere apartment at about 5:30 p.m. in unmarked vehicles, a resident of the building said. It’s on a street where the man had lived, law-enforcement sources told The Post.

About an hour later, more vehicles, carrying agents of the FBI, Homeland Security and ATF also descended on the site, along with firefighters and a bomb squad. They searched an apartment on the fifth floor.

Investigators were looking for anything that might have been used set to off the devices, including a remote control.

Story developing.

Leave a comment:

· Subscribe to comments
Be the first to comment here.