Anthony Joshua Involved In Car Crash In Nigeria, 2 Dead

MIAMI, FLORIDA – DECEMBER 19: Anthony Joshua walks to the ring before the heavyweight bout during Jake Paul v Anthony Joshua at Kaseya Center on December 19, 2025 in Miami, Florida. (Photo by Ed Mulholland/Getty Images for Netflix)

Heavyweight boxing superstar Anthony Joshua survived a serious road accident in southwestern Nigeria, an incident that drew immediate concern across the boxing world and wider sports community.

Joshua was traveling in a two-vehicle convoy along the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, one of Nigeria’s most heavily trafficked routes. The convoy consisted of a Lexus SUV and a Mitsubishi Pajero.

According to preliminary reports from local authorities, the Lexus collided with a stationary truck positioned along the roadway. Joshua’s accident follows the boxing star knocking out Jake Paul earlier this month in Miami, Florida.

Emergency responders confirmed that two people died at the scene. Both fatalities were occupants of the Lexus. Joshua, who was seated in the rear behind the driver, sustained minor injuries and did not require emergency hospitalization, according to sources familiar with the situation.

Video footage shared widely on social media showed Joshua standing near the damaged vehicle, shirtless and visibly shaken, surrounded by shattered glass and debris. The images circulated rapidly, prompting confusion among fans before officials clarified that Joshua had survived.

Boxing’s Anthony Joshua Involved In Deadly Car Crash In Nigeria, Says He’s Ok

Eyewitness Adeniyi Orojo, who assisted during the immediate aftermath, said the front-seat passenger died instantly. Orojo confirmed Joshua exited the vehicle on his own before first responders arrived. Authorities later verified Joshua was not among the deceased.

The Federal Road Safety Corps responded alongside the Ogun State Traffic Compliance and Enforcement Corps. Officials secured the crash site and launched an investigation into the circumstances. While a final cause has not been announced, early accounts indicate the truck lacked adequate warning markers.

The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway has long been cited for safety concerns. Disabled vehicles and parked trucks frequently remain unmarked, creating dangerous conditions, particularly at night. Road safety advocates have repeatedly urged stronger enforcement and clearer hazard warnings.

Joshua was in Nigeria on a personal visit, reconnecting with family roots during a holiday break. Hours before the accident, he posted an Instagram story showing himself playing table tennis indoors, a moment that later took on added weight.

The crash occurred days after Joshua’s return to the ring. On Dec. 19 in Miami, he defeated Jake Paul by sixth-round stoppage, ending a 15-month layoff. The bout represented a significant step in reestablishing his career momentum.

Joshua’s camp has not released an official statement. Medical sources described his injuries as minor and non-life-threatening.

Messages of support poured in from fellow fighters, athletes, and fans worldwide. Many expressed relief over Joshua’s survival while also mourning the lives lost in the crash.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

X