THE FIRST TWENTY SONGS ON THE HIP HOP 50 LIST ARE….
Mos Def – Ms. Fat Booty
DMX – Ruff Ryders Anthem
This Week’s Picks!
What are the top 50 songs in the history of Hip Hop?
Ebro in the Morning is looking to get to the bottom of that debate with a special programming event EVERY Thursday at 8AM EST from now until August 10!
To celebrate 50 years of Hip Hop; Ebro, Laura Stylez, Rosenberg, Shani Kulture & DJ Kast One will be nominating two songs each that day.
Each week, there will be a new theme to the debate (ex: 1996-2000, West Coast 90’s, Remixes)
YOU have full control from there! Following the show HOT 97 listeners will have until Wednesday, 11:59 PM EST to debate and put in their votes. The final results will be announced every Wednesday before White Ish Wednesdays, and officially added to the Top 50 list.
Just before August 11, 2023 we will add a final poll which will determine the ranking for the Top 50 Songs of All time!
The following breakdown will be how the Ebro in the Morning crew will be choosing their songs every week.
- Quality Of Song – Do you listen beyond the 1st verse; or to completion?
- Sustained Cultural Relevance – Does the song stand the test of time?
- Impact – How influential was the track during the time of release?
- Novelty Or Not? – Was the song a novelty song? (ex: “Ice Ice Baby”, “Can’t Touch This,” “Laffy Taffy” etc.)
Some Reminders Before We Move On:
- This is NOT a scientific poll. It is for debate, entertainment, and fun!
- We’re in New York City…so yes there will be East Coast Bias!
- IF a nominated song does not make it, it CAN be nominated again at a later date.
Watch the debate every Thursday LIVE on the HOT 97 app at 8AM EST