April 17, 2019

Man Shot In Nipsey Hussle Murder Speaks Out [VIDEO]

Man Shot In Nipsey Hussle Murder Speaks Out [VIDEO]
(Photo Credit: Kyle Grillot/Getty Images)

The Marathon Continues.

Nipsey Hussle’s legacy will be one of a person who used his influence, intelligence, and trust to help the community he grew up in.

The afternoon of his tragic killing, he was helping a man who was just released out of prison get some clothes from his Marathon store, and possibly a job.

Kerry Lathan convicted of murder in 1994 and sentenced to 25-to-life, before being released in 2018. He was alongside Nipsey when Eric Holder allegedly walked up to them and began firing shots at the rapper. He was shot a couple times, and then sent back to jail after authorites ruled that he violated his parole for coming in contact with a gang member. That gang member being Nipsey Hussle.

He spoke to Vlad TV to reveal his side of the story.

“Nipsey heard that I was home and filled up my little sister’s backseat of her car with clothing for me,” he said. “I was out seven months before this happened.” He says that two did not have relationship before, but had taken a picture beforehand.

Lathan then detailed what happened that day, as he met up with his nephew Shermi Villanueva who was also shot that day, and told him to go by The Marathon Store to get a new shirt before meeting a friend whose father had died recently. He claims that Nipsey did not go to the store to meet him, but was simply visiting the lot. When told they did not have the white shirt he wanted, an employee directed him to ask Nipsey who happened to be at the parking lot at the time.

“When I go in there, they didn’t have the white [shirts] that I wanted,” he said. “I said, ‘When y’all gon’ get that in again?’ He said, ‘Well, there go Nipsey in the lot. Go talk to him.’ And I talked to him. He said, ‘That’ll be about a week, bro.’ I said, ‘OK.’ “

He then details the moment of the shooting.

“The gunman turned around the car and shot me,” he recalled. “Then shot Nipsey, and then shot my nephew. I didn’t know what was going on … I fell on my stomach. All I could see was people’s feet. I couldn’t see nothing else. I said so they got it wrong if they talking about me being an eyewitness. What was I supposed to do? When I see a gun, I turn around and run. I don’t stop and take a selfie of the gunman … It all happened in less than three minutes.”

Lathan then recalls the conversation he had with law enforcement officials, and their decision to take him into custody for violating his parole.

“I was there a couple of days and the parole officer came,” he began. “He said, ‘This is the one that’s over me.’ And I said, ‘OK.’ So, the one that was over him talked to me and interviewed me and stuff, then he left. So, they came back again two days later with a third parole officer. I’m like, ‘What’s going on now?’ They said, ‘We gotta take you into custody.’ I said, ‘For what?’ They said, ‘It’s over our pay grade. It ain’t us. It’s higher than us.’ I said, ‘What do you mean?’ He said, ‘It’s the parole board.’”

“When I get [to Central Jail&#93, they say, ‘You’re here for [a&#93 parole violation.’ I said, ‘For what?’ ‘Well, coming into contact with a known gang member.’ I said, ‘Man, I didn’t come into contact with nobody. I was visiting some people, going to pay respects to a person’s father who just passed away.’ My buddy Ronnie, his father just died that Sunday. So, that’s all I was doing. And I was just gonna change my shirt so I could look presentable in front of they people. That’s it. And when I stopped over there with Nip, I got shot.”

He is now facing life in prison as he awaits an official decision at Men’s Central Jail in Los Angeles by the parole board. A GoFundMe page was opened to help Lathan with his legal fees.

Watch the full conversation below.