One of the hottest singles in the streets right now is “Whoopty” by CJ.
CJ is a new face on the hip hop scene and he’s shaking up the game already! CJ is 23 and was born and raised in Staten Island, New York. He dropped his hot single “Whoopty” back in July, and it’s becoming a movement. Hot 97 was the first station in the tristate to break the record with our guys The Heavy Hitters DJ Enuff, Staten Island native DJ Stacks, and DJ Camilo.
Five facts you should know:
1. “Whoopty” is produced by Pxcoyo and it has a drill sound. CJ told Genius that he found the beat on YouTube. When he took the track to the studio, he chose to have fun and freestyle instead of writing.
The single is buzzing! It made its way to the Billboard Hot 100 chart and is No. 11 on the UK Singles Chart. It also gained over 72 million plays on Spotify and the music video has over 45 million views. It also made the New York Times best songs of 2020 list. The single is also the most added honor at rhythmic and urban radio formats, according to Headline Planet.
2. CJ defines “Whoopty” as a term to greet your friends, like in NY some people say “yerrrrr.” He told Genius the phrase is becoming worldwide, babies to older people are saying it.
3. CJ has plans on being something big in the music industry. He wats to “bring the city back.” During an interview, CJ said he’s going to be the next goat! He said,
“I wanna make catchy music. [Have] people that’s gonna sing along. I don’t wanna be too complicated and be too serious in my songs. I want kids to recite my lyrics, older folks, too. Just kinda like a worldwide thing.”
4. He received a co-sign from Bronx rapper, Cardi B. Cardi posted a video of herself rapping the words to “Whoopty.”
5. CJ recently got blessed with a Coke Boys chain from hip hop veteran French Montana. The special moment was captured on video, take a look:
Keep streaming “Whoopty” and be on the lookout for more music!