(Photo Credit: Nuccio DiNuzzo/Getty Images)
In a shocking decision, prosecutors in Chicago decided to drop all the charges against Jussie Smollet, and clean his record.
The actor appeared in an emergency court hearing, where the charges were dismissed.
Smollett’s lawyers Tina Glandian and Patricia Brown Holmes released a statement following the surprising decision by prosecutors.
“Today, all criminal charges against Jussie Smollett were dropped and his record has been wiped clean of the filing of this tragic complaint against him,” they said. “Jussie was attacked by two people he was unable to identify on January 29th. He was a victim who was vilified and made to appear as a perpetrator as a result of false and inappropriate remarks made to the public causing an inappropriate rush to judgement.”
“Jussie and many others were hurt by these unfair and unwarranted actions. This entire situation is a reminder that there should never be an attempt to prove a case in the court of public opinion. That is wrong. It is a reminder that a victim, in this case Jussie, deserves dignity and respect. Dismissal of charges against the victim in this case was the only just result.”
Smollett was facing 16 counts including counts of lying to police, charges of disorderly conduct and filing a false police report after officers initially believed he lied and staged the alleged attack against him.
According to TMZ, State Attorney Kim Foxx told Chicago Police her decision because if he was found guilty, the sentence would only be community service. She claims he had already performed the community service therefore she felt that there was no reason to continue the case.
The report also states that Chicago Police are “furious” with the decision and feel there is something going on with Foxx.
Other than the $10,000 bond, his arrest record will be wiped clean, and the case is completely dismissed.
Smollett made his first comments since the news broke out.
“I want to thank my family, my friends, the incredible people of Chicago and all over the country and the world who have prayed for me, who have supported me,” he said. “I have been truthful and consistent on every level since day one,” he said. “I would not be my mother’s son if I was capable of one drop of what I’ve been accused of.”
LIVE: Officials hold press conference after charges against actor Jussie Smollett dropped. https://t.co/64QPdjsTtV
— WSVN 7 News (@wsvn) March 26, 2019
The Smollett family also released a statement.
“This morning truth has prevailed and (Jussie) has been vindicated,” it began. “While many were quick to rush to judgement before hearing the actual truth, we are grateful that the truth about Jussie has come to light. We look forward to bringing the real perpetrators to justice.”
There has been no statement from Chicago PD.