A Minneapolis judge rejected the defense’s request to move Derek Chauvin’s murder trial to another state.
The defense team made the motion last week to Judge Peter Cahill. Chauvin’s legal team argued after the city agreed to pay $27 million to George Floyd’s family, it could hurt their case. They believe the announcement of the settlement in the middle of jury selection “infuriated Chauvin’s defense.” Chauvin’s attorney Eric Nelson argued that it prejudiced jurors against his client.
Nelson also wanted to delay the trial. Judge Cahill denied it and said, “Unfortunately, I think the pretrial publicity, in this case, will continue no matter how long we continue it.” When the defense asked if the trial could be relocated.” Judge Cahill explained why he said no.
“And as far as a change of venue, I do not think it that would give the defendant any kind of a fair trial beyond what we are doing here today. I don’t think there’s any place in the state of Minnesota that has not been subjected to extreme amounts of publicity on this case.”
Judge Cahill ruled to allow limited evidence from Floyd’s 2019 encounter with the police. Both sides agreed on 12 jurors with one more to go. CNN reports opening statements will start no earlier than March 29, followed by testimonies which could take up to four weeks.
Chauvin pleaded not guilty to third-degree murder, second-degree unintentional murder, and second-degree manslaughter charges. Floyd was murdered on May 25 last year, after Chauvin had his knee on Floyd’s neck for nearly 9 minutes.
Take a look at a live stream: