An electric space heater malfunctioned at a Bronx, New York, apartment and caused a horrible fire.
The tragic incident happened on January 9 in a bedroom where the space heater was being used. New York Mayor Eric Adams called the blaze "one of the worst fires in the city's history." It left 17 people dead, eight including children, CNN reports. In addition, over 60 people were injured.
Mayor Adams said,
"This is a horrific, horrific, painful moment for the city of New York, and the impact of this fire is going to really bring a level of just pain and despair in our city."
The publication also points out the majority of the residents were Muslim immigrants from the West African nation of The Gambia. The Red Cross reportedly provided emergency housing to 22 families, representing 56 adults and 25 children.
Here's how you can help:
- Team up with The Gambian Youth Organization - Donate clothes, volunteer, + more.
- Team up with Anthony Ave Community Garden - Donate clothes, volunteer, + more.
- Donate clothes
If you would like to donate items such as bottled water, blankets, pillows, clothing, coats, hats, scarves, winter shoes, towels, personal hygiene items, masks, hand sanitizer, you can at
- Monroe College at 2375 Jerome Ave.
- Riverdale Jewish Center at 3700 Independence Ave.
- Anthony Avenue Community Garden at 2078 Anthony Ave.
- Community Board 10 at 3165 E Tremont Ave.
- The Bronx Woodlawn Collective at 341 East 235th Street
- SAR Academy at 655 W. 254 Street
- Gambian Youth Organization at 214 E. 181 Street
If you need help locating a loved one:
The Bronx fire comes days after a fire at a Philadelphia apartment building killed 12 people, eight of whom were children. Our prayers go out to the families.